I have been struggling to write this post, because it is devastating and something I have never experienced.
Saturday, March 12, 2011, I was enjoying my lunch at Mozaik, i get the same lunch every time I go: eggplant gyro minus the bread (its delicious!). Then, I see Caleb walk out of the kitchen towards me, he is on his phone and has the most concerned and shocked face I have ever seen him wear. I can tell it has something to do with his family, he gets off the phone and tells me “that was chad, the big house is on fire.” I was completely shocked, didn’t know what to think or do, but knew I needed to do something. I sent a text to Aunt Marsha and asked if I could come out right away, and her response was: “nothing you can do, its a total loss”. My heart sank. I quickly left Mozaik, and rushed out to the farm, not knowing what to expect. The second I merged off the Gretna/ Greeensboro exit, I could smell fire. When I turned on their road, I could smell it even more, and could see a huge cloud of smoke covering the land.
about this time, the last fire truck had left. they said there was “nothing more they could do, and that there would be more small fires to probably pop back up, and to just give them a call.”
I will never understand why they just gave up and left because there was “nothing” more they could do.
Caleb and his cousin Chad, walked around close to the house and got some pictures of the inside of the house:
I took this quote off of Calebs cousin, Kyla’s Facebook:
“Well, it is a total loss. 😦 The fire started around 10 this morning and completely engulfed the upstairs within an hour. My aunt and uncle and their dogs made it out fine. They were able to save their backup files for their business but lost everything else, other than the clothes on their backs. Apparently the fire started in the chimney and backed up to the top in which it caught the chimney eves on fire; spreading from there. My uncle is a gun collector and had quite a large amount of amo as well. When the firefighters arrived, they began fighting the fire externally and internally upstairs. Unfortunately, the amo started exploiding so they had to leave the inside and join the outside crew. Basically, the fire had consumed so much inside, they decided to just maintained a continuous stream of water on the outside to keep the fire from jumping into the yard and pastures.”
It was such a tough day, to watch for hours as the house just kept burning. Uncle Jack and Aunt Marsha, the occupants, were just thankful to be alive. The 4,580 square foot home, that had all of their belongings, gone. All of their earthly possessions gone.
Caleb and I left, along with everyone, as the sun was setting. All the family held hands and Ama said a prayer. It was this day that we hugged a little longer and held hands a little tighter.
Uncle Jack and Aunt Marsha will be staying at the “Little House” on the farm, that is equipped with the essentials. They have a few sets of clothes that Aunt Jan and a friend bought. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
This morning when I checked my Facebook, Aunt Marsha commented under a picture I uploaded from my phone of the house on fire:
“Well the fire department just left again, keep coming back to put out the hot spots. We are so thankful to be alive and all the fire people are safe. There were 8 vol fire depts here yesterday! Still smoldering! God is good All the time! Thanks for your prayers! Red Cross coming tomorrow. Please pray for all those in Japan and areas affected by the earthquake and tsunami.”
How humble is she! All her things are gone, and she wants us to pray for others.
How to HELP: A few people have already reached out to me wanting to help. I am not sure of the specifics of what they need. Caleb and I will be going out the the Farm this Thursday afternoon. We will know more then. Calebs mom is trying to put a poker run together and will get the details on here as soon as I know them. If you would like to make a donation, please call me or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org anything is helpful. Thank you!